Monday, April 7, 2014

Driving in Ireland and the Ring of Kerry

First let me say that I was not a fan of the idea of driving in a foreign country, with the roads opposite and the car opposite!  

We arrived safely at Dublin airport and got our car.  I  immediately knew, driving from away from the airport would give me that anxious sick to my stomach feeling.  So, with that being said, I decided to let Abbey drive, which she was all about anyways...her bucket list, not mine.  We decided my bucket list was not to die while driving (or riding wit someone else that had never driven in a foreign country) while in Ireland.

After getting away from the Airport and on a regular highway, she soon got the hang of the car and the roadways.  I think the biggest thing was learning to navigate the round-a-bouts and driving on the opposite side of the road.

We had a 4 hour drive to Kilarney and the Ring of Kerry.  Parking in the little towns is crazy!  The roads are narrow to begin with and they park on both sides of the road and it doesn't matter which way the car faces!  It was a tight squeeze in those towns and I found myself grabbing the "Oh S..t Bar"  several times!   We finally made it to our destination!

The Ring of Kerry, which is supposed to take about 3.5 hours to navigate, was confusing in itself.  It took us about an hour to figure out if we were on the right path to begin with!  

We stopped and took pictures by the bridge at the Gap of Dunloe.  We also had some pics of Saint Mary's Cathedral (beautiful)  I took a couple pics of some birds, native to the area, while my daughter laughed at me!  I love nature and interesting things and this was a bird I had never seen!  I saw some trees that had huge nests in them, that looked mostly like they were made of sticks.

After that, we went to the Torc waterfall.  We could hear it before we even saw it!  It was an amazing site!  I will post pics after I have access to a laptop.








No comments: